I wouldn’t call myself a huge Spider-man fan, but I do enjoy the movies and the games.
The Raimi trilogy was great fun for its time (aside from Spider-man 3, of course) and the games that came out around that time were fun as well. I remember playing Spider-man on my Dreamcast and that didn’t even have a movie to tie in to. It was just Spider-man, swinging around and being awesome.
I say that I’m not a big Spider-man fan, yet I’ve played most of the games that’ve been released over the past decade or so. This is actually somewhat of a long list, so here we go:
- Spider-man for the Dreamcast (which also came out on PS1)
- The Spider-man movie tie in, complete with Green Goblin cheat that allowed you to fly around the city on the glider
- The Spider-man 2 movie tie in (which is still one of the best Spider-man games out there in my opinion)
- The Amazing Spider-man (which rivals Spider-man 2 as far as games go – open world to swing about and playable Venom!)
- Spider-man Shattered Dimensions – ehhh… I don’t have much good to say about this one
- And now, The Amazing Spider-man
So yeah, that’s 6 Spider-man games I’ve played. I guess I’m a bit more interested in this character than I’d thought.
So how is The Amazing Spider-man Video Game? I’ll give you two words: it’s ok.
Here’s the good news first.
The story begins not long after 2012’s summer blockbuster The Amazing Spider-man left off. I won’t say much more than that – but if you’re thinking about playing the game, you’ll want to see the movie first, as there are a few minor spoilers in the game if you don’t (and really, just do yourself the favor and see The Amazing Spider-man. It’s awesome. Check out our review here.)
Yes, there is a free-roaming city to swing about.
I’ll give the game this – the sense of speed you’ll get from swinging is fantastic. The camera begins to shake a bit at the lowest part of your swing, when Spidey is moving fastest. The controller also begins to vibrate a bit, which really adds to the sense of movement. The swinging is one of the best parts of this game.
The Spider-man character model also looks absolutely stunning. I mean, it looks really good. I think the designers must’ve spent most of their resources on the swinging and how Spider-man looks, because these two things really stand out.